Why Ducky Zebra?
I’m a parent of two and was shocked when my daughter, at the age of 4, mentioned she couldnt be a taxi driver when she was older because she was a girl. Where had this come from? After that I became much more aware of the books she was reading, the games she was playing and the clothes she was wearing. Magic, fairies, cute pretty images, and shorts that were … well, short!
And at this point I decided to tackle at least one of these areas: the clothes she wore. I wanted to create clothes for her, and other girls, that inspired confidence and determination to achieve whatever they wanted.
Ever the optimist, I quit my job and began the process. Only to find during my early research, that things were equally bad for boys. Perhaps even worse. Dull, boring colours, aggressive teeth baring predators, messages of heroism and dominance. There was little reference to kindness. I didn’t want my son to grow up displaying these aggressive characteristics.
And so I changed direction, and began to look at clothes that would benefit girls and boys equally. Soon after, I surveyed over 500 parents. Their feedback, support and advice was invaluable. One quote stood out in particular: “I believe happy, cheery clothes make my boys smile more.” This is what we all want to achieve. Happy, smiling children.
And it was this quote, amongst many, many others that resulted in Ducky Zebra. A brand that creates, happy, cheery clothes, celebrates kindness and confidence, and puts climbing and adventures above looks and beauty. Shorts that aren’t too short. Tops without the itchy frills. And clothes with pockets to store away life’s treasures.
Our 6 core values are:
1. Fun, colourful clothes: colourful designs, approved by children, so that we create clothes kids want to wear
2. Free from gender stereotypes: designs free from gender stereotypes, allowing kids to be kids
3. Splashing kindness + confidence: clothes ooze kindness and confidence, with every item containing an embroidered reminder to be so
4. Slow fashion, made to last: high quality, timeless designs that can be used time and time again
5. Organic cotton: made with GOTS certified organic cotton to reduce our environmental impact
6. Creating change together: we donate £1 to charity for every garment bought (we’ve partnered with UK charity, Chance UK)
Age range: 0